Thirty miles north of Bogota in Zipaquira is Colombia's remarkable Salt Cathedral. The cathedral was originally a small sanctuary carved by the miners who prayed there for protection each day before entering the mine. Construction of the larger cathedral began in 1950 and was dedicated to Our Lady of Rosary, patron saint of miners, on August 15, 1954. The salt mine remained operational until 1990 when structural issues and safety concerns became a problem. The site is large with many sections, including the Stations of the Cross, three naves, a large dome and a massive hand-carved salt cross that covers the full height of the dome.